[r-t] Auryn

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Thu Dec 6 13:15:34 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I've had chance to read the previous e-mails more thoroughly and have
picked up on the following:

Ander remarked that the parity sequence in the 3-4 section is +-+-
(correct) so the two rows with the treble-in-3rds are the same (-ve)
parity. I can't see that anyone has pointed that this is not entirely
correct - because in the second 3-4 section, it is the treble-in-4ths
which has the same -ve parity. This is a consequence of the asymmetry in
the 5-6 section.

The parity sequence in the 5-6 up section is --++. In a symmetric 5-6
section with an ordinary double change half-lead, the 5-6 down section
would have parity sequence ++--. In Auryn, the sequence is +--+ and it
is this that causes an 'acceptable' parity sequence in the 3-4 down
section. If the 5-6 sections were symmetric, the 3-4 down parity
sequence would be -+-+ and all treble-in-3rds would be -ve.

Best wishes
Robin