[r-t] BellBoard compositions

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Sun Feb 5 14:47:26 UTC 2012

As many people will be aware we added the ability to store
compositions on BellBoard last week, and users have
gradually been adding them.

In addition to being able to store a textual representation
of the composition, we also allow you to upload a
machine-readable representation.  At the moment this has to
be in a Siril-like format, e.g. Microsiril, Sirilic or
GSiril.  If there are other commonly used proof formats, it
would probably be possible to add support for them too, but
I'm not currently familiar with any others.

The advantage of providing machine-readable composition is
it allows us to do a lot more with it.  At the moment, for
example, we use it to prove the composition, check that it
is the correct length, and do some rudimentary musical
analysis.  It would be easy to add other such things if they
would be useful.

Musical analysis is, at present, only done for touches
shorter than an extent, and simply checks for a few named
rows (queens, tittums, and reverse rounds) and counts CRUs
and 4-bell runs.  It is trivial to add further types of
musical analysis and I would be interested in what people
would find useful.

Does this the sort of thing that will be useful?

RAS