[r-t] Bristol Royal compositions

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Mon Feb 6 13:23:03 UTC 2012

I've rung a couple of peals of Bristol Royal in the past week, each with new compositions.

The first composition by DJP (from http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=120852) in particular deserves widespread attention.

5040 Bristol Surprise Royal
Composed by D J Pipe
23456 V O I
35426     -
54326   -
32546   - -
24365 -   -
64352 S   S
43652   -
65432   - -
2 Part

It just hits all the buttons - indeed, it is arguably the best two part tenors-together B10 composition judged against many criteria. David's new composition uses the 65432 part-end, the advantages of which I highlighted in my compositions of the decade article on royal.  John Warboys has a similar composition on his website (http://website.lineone.net/~jswcomps/), but this has a 167890 single instead of the arguably more elegant SV SI that David uses.

The second peal was by James Marchbank (www.campanophile.com/view.aspx?136591), also using 8ths place calls:

5000 Bristol Royal
1	3	4	5	7	8	9
		-
	-	2	2
		-
	-				-	-
				-	(8 leads)
-					-	-
		-	-
	-				-	-
					-	-
	s	s
		-	-
		-

Whilst this doesn't have the same elegance of David's comp, there are some very nice features, and the use of calls at 8,9 to flip the tenors works well.

I've come to the view that using 8ths place calls is by far the most elegant solution for Bristol Royal - I don't know why so many continue to stick with 4ths place.  There seems to have been much less experimentation with 8ths place call comps, especially those affecting the tenors (though Alan Reading has a few existing examples similar to James' new comp - see http://www.simonreading.dsl.pipex.com/5000%20(no6)%20Bristol%20Surprise%20Royal.htm).

And given the high number of peals of B10 that are rung, that fact that something as simple as David's new comp is seemingly previously undiscovered is very surprising indeed.

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening. The Royal Society of Chemistry is a charity, registered in England and Wales, number 207890 - Registered office: Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 0WF