[r-t] What is a 'regular' method

Simon J. Gay Simon.Gay at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Feb 6 17:33:45 UTC 2012

I think the main use I would make of the term "regular" would be in the phrase "regular lead ends", meaning Plain Bob lead ends.

It does seem that methods with non-regular lead ends are less favoured, but I think this is largely for the following practical reasons:

- With non-regular lead ends, you don't have the familiar (from regular lead ends) system for relating the coursing order to the lead end, so for a particular non-regular lead end, the conductor would have to learn the relevant system; this makes it more difficult to work out which place bells people should be ringing in the event of a mistake.

- Methods with non-regular lead ends don't have their falseness groups catalogued according to the standard system, which makes it difficult to find off-the-shelf compositions.

- The place bell order has to be learnt explicitly; it won't be one of the familiar orders arising from regular lead ends.

These points are probably of little concern to a composer/conductor who is going to

(1) design a method and produce a composition to get the best from it
(2) ring with a band who don't need many familiar features in order to learn methods, and are able to ring them without needing to be put right.

So I would advocate using "regular" *only* in the phrase "regular lead ends", and not talking about "regular methods" at all; certainly not describing particular structural features such as single changes, four blows in one place etc. as "irregular".

Simon Gay