[r-t] Treble place paths

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Mon Jan 23 17:27:43 UTC 2012

Doubles seems to be the only stage where there has been lots of experimentation with different treble place paths. I think there's a lot of mileage in playing around with worthwhile new paths on higher numbers.

I'm especially keen on treble paths (not methods) which have rotational symmetry - ie plain hunt, treble-dodging etc have this property, whereas Percy's Tea Strainer does not.

On 5 bells, there are some real gems, such as Brampford Speke, where the plain course generates the extent:
Brampford Speke &3.145.1.3.125.3.1.5.3.145.3.125.5.3. 5, 125

I also like the treble path (actually the path of all bells) in this "unrung" method, which is closely related to Ockham doubles

&3.5.3.1.3.5.3.1.3.5         (depending on taste you might describe it as Saturn Doubles, 3.5.3.1)

There was a bit of discussion on here in September 2008 about major treble paths where the treble rings 4 times in each place in the lead ( see eg http://www.bellringers.net/pipermail/ringing-theory_bellringers.net/2008-September/002751.html). Graham John also mooted a major path where the treble does 8 blows in each place.

When I saw him recently Ander Holroyd mooted another attractive new elegant "pointy" path where the treble rings 8 blows in each place. This is especially nice, as it works on 6 bells and can be logically extended to any even stage:

121123432123456543456656

Suggestions of how this (or the major etc equivalents) can be best exploited would be very welcome.

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening. The Royal Society of Chemistry is a charity, registered in England and Wales, number 207890 - Registered office: Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 0WF