[r-t] Treble place paths

Robert Bennett rbennett at woosh.co.nz
Sun Jan 29 02:10:42 UTC 2012

 Two hunt methods are also good for producing extents:

Doubles method: 5.1.3.5.3.5.3.145.3.5.1.5.3.145.3.5.3.5.3.1  (PL 12453,
requires a pair of singles for the extent)
 The two hunts are the mirror image of each other, and cover all their
relative positions once each lead.

This particular method extends to 7,9, 11... bells by extending the 1-2
dodge and having dodging in 45 for triples and 45 and 67 for caters ...

6-bell methods of this type have to have 3 blows in one place (I think),
but reasonable 8-bell methods are possible , some of which could have
fairly spiky paths.

x 18 x 58.36.18.36.18.36.14.56.18.34.18 x 16 x 18 x
14.36.18.36.18.36.78.16. 58 half lead 16

 There are also Doubles methods with a hunt and half-hunt, and this might
be worth a look on on other stages.

These methods can be investigated fairly easily using a  square array
represent the position of the two hunts. The diagonal is blanked off,
since both bells can't be in the same place at the same time (in theory,
not in practice!)

 On Tue 24/01/12 6:27 AM , Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org sent:
  Doubles seems to be the only stage where there has been lots of
experimentation with different treble place paths. I think there's a lot
of mileage in playing around with worthwhile new paths on higher numbers.

 I'm especially keen on treble paths (not methods) which have rotational
symmetry - ie plain hunt, treble-dodging etc have this property, whereas
Percy's Tea Strainer does not.

 On 5 bells, there are some real gems, such as Brampford Speke, where the
plain course generates the extent:
 Brampford Speke &3.145.1.3.125.3.1.5.3.145.3.125.5.3. 5, 125

 I also like the treble path (actually the path of all bells) in this
"unrung" method, which is closely related to Ockham doubles

 &3.5.3.1.3.5.3.1.3.5 (depending on taste you might describe it as Saturn
Doubles, 3.5.3.1)

 There was a bit of discussion on here in September 2008 about major
treble paths where the treble rings 4 times in each place in the lead (
see eg  Graham John also mooted a major path where the treble does 8 blows
in each place.

 When I saw him recently Ander Holroyd mooted another attractive new
elegant "pointy" path where the treble rings 8 blows in each place. This
is especially nice, as it works on 6 bells and can be logically extended
to any even stage:

 121123432123456543456656

 Suggestions of how this (or the major etc equivalents) can be best
exploited would be very welcome.

 DISCLAIMER:

 This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of
the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright
material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person
without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please
contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully
formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the
RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this
respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any
resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot
restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a
finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or
attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening. The Royal
Society of Chemistry is a charity, registered in England and Wales, number
207890 - Registered office: Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge CB4 0WF