[r-t] A new category of splice?

Matthew Frye matthew at frye.org.uk
Mon Jul 2 00:05:30 UTC 2012

On 1 Jul 2012, at 22:35, Philip Earis wrote:
> I do like this half-lead spliced concept.  Has it been documented before?  Are there rung methods which have this feature? I imagine Richard Smith may dig something out. I'm looking forward to stimulating discussions.

Seems unsurprising, really. Probably not thought about much before as splicing of this type has focused on treble dodging minor, where there isn't much space in a half lead to do an awful lot.

Examples exist in minor. A surprise method with 14.56-12.36 middle section can simply swap it for 1456.12.1256.56.1236 so
Stafford Double -36-14.56-12.36-14-56 le 12
becomes
Golden Wheel -36-1456.12.1256.56.1236-14-56 le 12

That's a pretty esoteric example, perhaps it's an idea that could find more use on higher numbers (as you show) where I have no doubt many more unimagined possibilities lurk.

Also:

On 1 Jul 2012, at 23:17, Philip Earis wrote:
> There remain some key unanswered questions resulting from the composition development, including why many helixoids could be found that were congruent to a 336 change block of plain bob, but no helixoids could be found that were congruent to 336 change blocks of other plain methods (eg Double Norwich).  MBD can introduce these, though, and hopefully some answers will be forthcoming.

Fascinating. Sounds like the sort of thing there should be a rational explanation for. I'll wait to see exactly what MBD has to say.

MF