[r-t] Hubbard, etc

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 11:27:19 UTC 2012

On 17 June 2012 00:01, Robin Woolley <robin at robinw.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I only get the digests, so apologies if this has already been dealt with.
>
> It seems that Eddie Martin might be wrong. My reasoning is as follows:
>
> Group 'q' methods have the property that plains and bobs can be swapped to
> give another true composition of the same length. This is certainly true for
> Hubbard's peal. Doing this means that a 'home' becomes BBBBBBP instead of
> PPPPPPB.
>
> Now, for a group 'p' method, BBBB is a bob-course so BBBBBBP must be false.
>
> Best wishes
> Robin

Eddie Martin most certainly is wrong. To do what I adamantly
instructed is physically impossible!
To get from one treble's lead to the next of PB simply transpose by
214365 (eg from 234567 we get 325476) but to get from one treble's
lead to the next of SS you have to transpose by 315264 so please
forget all that I said about reversing from handstroke leads, it
doesn't work!

What does work is to realise that the 5040 can be set out in 360 plain
course structures and that as far as the treble's leads are concerned,
within any particular plain course, exactly the same rows will occur
at treble's leads whether ringing Plain Bob or St.Simon's - albeit in
reverse order . Therefore If the original comp is for Plain Bob and
starts with a bob W, if no other leads of the plain course from rounds
are bobbed, then a bob at W in St.Simon's must be true. In other words
simply bob the same leads in either method.

> Group 'q' methods have the property that plains and bobs can be swapped to
> give another true composition of the same length. This is certainly true for
> Hubbard's peal. Doing this means that a 'home' becomes BBBBBBP instead of
> PPPPPPB

Calling a bob every lead in St.Simon's results in a full 'course'
which contains leads from seven different plain courses; calling a bob
every lead in Plain Bob contains leads from four different plain
courses. To adapt the calling for one method to the other necessitates
including the particular bobbed leads plus the plain leads which
happen to have been excluded in the original touch (initially, to
involve the same q-sets  a bob in one method, will require PPPPB in
the other method)

Eddie
 (with apologies for my previous postings)