[r-t] Bad Boy compositions

Ian Fielding Ian.Fielding at nbt.nhs.uk
Mon Mar 19 14:37:12 UTC 2012

Dear R-T

As a composer of stale, old fashioned, back bell focused compositions very much in the traditional mould, I was very interested to see those jolly clever Cambridge University types ringing a new composition described as a "bad boy" on Saturday morning. Could you shed any light on what feature(s) a composition must contain in order for it to reach the heights of a "bad boy"? I am keen to develop my clearly deficient composing skills to add this type of composition to my repertoire but just don't know where to begin. I was thinking of asking that clever Mr Philip Earis direct, but he is always scornful of my lack of insight and understanding and keen to seize any opportunity to establish his superiority over me. Only the other day did he take me to task for suggesting the mega-tittums course should be rung in bits, yet in this I note it is broken down into only 1 lead per part - I don't understand.

Please help,

Bemused of Bristol

Ian Fielding

Chief Pharmacy Technician