[r-t] Compositional challenge - 8 spliced major

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon Mar 12 13:51:47 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Philip Earis <pje24 at cantab.net> wrote:
> I find myself in the unexpected and rather ironic position of having to
> call a peal of the so-called "standard" 8 surprise major methods next
> Saturday. Long story.
>
> I could just pick something like the badboy below, but instead I'd rather
> use this or or something similar and simple as a base, and insert a whole
> course of Superlative in the 8765432 coursing order. Perhaps insert choice
> whole courses of Bristol etc also. I don't care at all about having
> similar numbers of leads of each method.

While arguably ludicrous in other ways, the following does have the
required course of Superlative.

5,184 (5,024) Spliced Surprise Major (8 methods)
23456  B  M  W  H
_________________
35264     2  2     R.B.C.B.SS(S
63254        -     SS)SS.R
45236     -  -  -  YPS.S.R.
24536           -  LPL.
24365  -       [-] (RNSR)S.YS.
_________________
Repeat five times, omitting [-]
from alternate parts.
Contains 2,304 Superlative, 960 Rutland, 384 each Bristol, London,
Pudsey and Yorkshire and 192 each Cambridge and Lincolnshire (N),
with 119 changes of method.
Reduce to 5,024 by, in any one part, replacing (SSS) by one lead of
Rutland, and replacing (RNSR) by one lead of Pudsey; contains 2,176
Superlative, 928 Rutland, 416 Pudsey, 384 each Bristol, London and
Yorkshire, 192 Cambridge and 160 Lincolnshire (N), with 118 changes of
method.
The unreduced version also contains:
                                        at hand
combinations of 5678 in 5678     216        108
                         56s      18
                         65s      18
                       8765s      12         12
                       8756s      12         12
         combination rollups      70
                         45s       7
                         46s       7
                         64s      10
                         54s      10
                       7468s       3          2
                       7458s       3          2
                        876s      18         12
                        678s      45
                       2468s       2          2
combinations of 5678 in 1234     192         96
         5678s off the front      12         12
         6578s off the front      12         12
         8765s off the front      12
         8756s off the front      12
          678s off the front      27         15
          876s off the front      21          3
         little bell rollups      49         25
                       1234s       8          4
                       4321s       8          4
                       2345s      10          4
                       5432s       6          4
                       3456s       4          2
                       6543s       4          2
                       4567s       3
                       7654s       6          5
                      queens     yes          1
                     tittums     yes          1
                 back rounds     yes
                 near misses       6          2
                         82s      58          6
                         83s      58          6
              backstroke 87s    none
         1234s off the front      10          5
         4321s off the front       8          4
         2345s off the front       6          6
         5432s off the front       7          5
         3456s off the front       8          4
         6543s off the front      12          6
         4567s off the front       5          5
         7654s off the front       4          1

"I would often run the first part of a quarter through Abel; sometimes
the whole quarter. At least then you know what it should sound like,
before the bells and ringers get hold of it."