[r-t] Spliced, etc.

Simon Gay Simon.Gay at glasgow.ac.uk
Tue May 22 08:46:55 UTC 2012

In a symmetrical method, a pair of bells that cross at a lead end also
cross at a half lead exactly half a course away. Considering the case of
8 bells: 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 all cross at the same lead end (for 2nds place
methods it's at the end of the course, for 8ths place methods it's at
the lead end 17856342) and therefore also all cross at the same half
lead, in the lead in which all the handbell pairs are ringing their
symmetrical lead. In the course MBKDHFA, not only 7-8 but also 5-6 and
3-4 are ringing symmetrical leads throughout. The remaining bell, 2,
makes a place at the half lead and is therefore ringing the pivot place
bell in every lead. Obviously, for each bell, there is a course of this
kind in which that bell rings all the pivot place bells, but it's only
the course MBKDHFA in which the normal handbell pairs are ringing
symmetrical work in every lead.

Simon