[r-t] Minor

Hayden Charles hcharles at grandsire.co.uk
Sun Sep 2 12:47:32 UTC 2012

Rob Weatherby wrote on 02/09/2012 12:35:

> Hi Guys,
> Could someone please explain this in beginners terms for me. I just don't understand the format.

> Can you help me out by explaining this in relation to the lead ends as pbs etc....

Have a look at (for example):

  <http://www.heatons.fsnet.co.uk/Ringing/Conducting/Session5/Theory.htm>

This explains a lot of the notation.

- is a bob, s a single.

The headings refer to the positions of the 6, so W is the first lead end
where the 6 dodges 5-6 up, H is the fifth lead end where it dodges 6-5 down.

4ths means that the 6 makes the bob, In that it runs in, Out that it
runs out. S3rds  - make 3rds at a single.

The numbers under the W and H column mean the number of calls in the
same position, and the 3* points to the note underneath (s - -) meaning
the call is a single in the first course and a bob in the next two.
Similarly the 6 gives the pattern of calls at the same position, s - - s
- - (each of these will be one course apart).

In the first touch the lead sequence starts:

s p p p p
b p p p p
b p p p b
p p p p b
p p p p b at which point you should have the lead end 132456

That should give enough to get started. Try writing out the individual
lead ends to check that you get the figures given.

Hayden Charles