[r-t] Bobs only 5,039 Grandsire Triples

Simon Reading simonreading at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Aug 1 08:55:20 UTC 2013

Yes, found them.
There were 2 handbell peals of 5025 Grandsire Triples conducted by
Clement Glenn in 1908 at 10 Wellgate Rotherham, composed by Henry
Johnson (as an example of a 5000 without an apparent single).

The first was on 23/09/08 and has the following note:
"According to the decisions of the Central Council a peal of Triples
must now consist of the extent. The YACR, however, at all times welcomes
historic reproductions from the great masters, and it is trusted that
this footnote will stand as a sufficient apology for the Association's
love of freedom. "

The second was on 18/12/08, with this footnote:
"This is Henry Johnson's historic 'peal' given in Jasper W Snowdon's
'Grandsire' - a composition of very great interest to all who have
sufficient knowledge to appreciate it; Central Council's Committees not
excepted"

Interestingly both peals had an umpire, as do all the handbell peals
from that era in the YACR reports.

Simon