[r-t] Washbrook’s Surprise Principle

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Aug 9 14:12:43 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Philip Earis <Earisp at rsc.org> wrote:
> Sir,—The system produced by Mr. Washbrook and rung at Caversham, is asymmetrical, and therefore illiegitimate; it is not principle and it is not Surprise.

Two further questions:

- When did the Council stop questioning the parentage of asymmetrical methods?

- I understand why they dispute it being a surprise method (at least
as surprise is currently understood), but why do they say it's not a
principle?

"Long as the play is, the fascinated reader (rather than the
playgoer) wants it longer; we wish every observation by Hamlet
that we can hope to get."   -- Harold Bloom, _The Western Canon_