[r-t] Washbrook’s Surprise Principle

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Fri Aug 9 14:37:50 UTC 2013

Don Morrison wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Philip Earis <Earisp at rsc.org> wrote:
>> Legitimate Methods Committee
>
> Does anyone know when the committee's name was changed from that
> charmer? And what rationale was provided for the change?

In discussing the committee's 1918 report, "[a]n interesting
discussion took place upon legitimate methods, and
eventually it was resolved that in future the word
'Legitimate' should be omitted from the title of the,
committee, so that the committee in future will be known as
the Methods Committee. It was also resolved that wherever
the word 'legitimate' occurred in the documents of the
committee and Council, the word be changed to 'regular' and
'illegitimate' to 'irregular.'"

A bit of an anticlimax.  I had hoped it was changed because
people doubted the committee's legitimacy.  And if the
Redundant Bells Committee gained its 'Redundant' at the same
time, that would been excellent.

RAS