[r-t] Different ways of using 7 parts

Matt Dawson m.d.dawson.29 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 16:34:37 UTC 2013

On 4 December 2013 14:04, Thomas Perrins <thomas_perrins at hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Nearly-tenors-together atw spliced for dummies":
> 1. Generate a 7 part composition based on befores.2. Kick-out the 2 split parts (trivially done if the first method in the 7 part is 8ths place - see composition).3. Go fishing in the sea of unused leads for padding up to length.
> Note that the standard 8 does not lend itself particularly well to this concept; I am certain that a more ringing-theory-approved selection of methods would facilitate far less padding.
> I would be keen to see if/how people have used the same, or a similar, concept in the past.
> Regards,Tom Perrins.

This came through to the archive with most of the line breaks stripped
(HTML?), so I've reproduced it below:

5026 [5154] Spliced Surprise Major (8m)
TMP
 23456  B M W H Methods
-------------------------------
 42356        - B.
 52346      s   CCNN,L
 63254   sV/F   RLRLR,SSCN.P
(23456)   -     YYP.
-------------------------------
 46352    -   s B.CCNN,
 56342      s   LRLRLR,SSC
(23456)   V/F   N.PYYP.
-------------------------------
 35264  -       BB.CC
 64523   sB/s3  NN,[LRLRL]R,SS
(23456) 2       CN.PYYP.
-------------------------------
 64325    V/sF  BB.CCNN,LRLRL
 35426    s   - R,SSCN.
(23456)     -   PYYP.
-------------------------------
 45236      - - B.CCN.
 32654    - -   PNN.Y.R
(52643)   s s   L,P,
 36542  - - - s YSR.BSC.P.L,
 35642        s B,
 62543    s   - CNN,RC.
 65243        s B,
(45263)     s   BY,
(65243)     s   PLCSY,
 54632  -       YRC.YC
 23465    - s - NCS.S,YPS.
 63425      s   PL,L
 34265      s 2 YR,PPS.B.
(64235)     s   YSSY,
 52436    -   - PLYN.LP.
 64352   sV/sF  N,LRLRLR,S
 32456    -   s SCN.PYYP,
 25364  -       PP.SNS
Replace [LRLRL] with S to avoid 87's at backstroke.
130 com, atw.
12 56's, 65's, 83 LB4.

It's interesting how the composition contains the entire plain course
of Bristol, with a lead at the start of each "part" (or two where the
split parts are dropped), much in the same way as Smith's 23 contains
the plain course of Yorkshire. I'd be keen to see how far this can be
taken with an amenable method selection.

matt