[r-t] Spliced Doubles Variations

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Dec 19 12:30:59 UTC 2013

Robert Bennett wrote:

> As I recall, Wallflower single is a long call and is
> usually a two-lead splice with most of the methods it is
> used with.  Old Hudibras single is a short call, (again,
> as I remember) so does not involve any splicing
> considerations.

Whether a call is a long or a short call is dependent on the
method it is being rung with.  A Wallflower single rung in
Reverse Canterbury is a short call, in that its effect is
one change over the lead end; but a Wallflower single rung
in Plain Bob is a long call lasting three changes, and in
the case here, where it is rung with Maltby Bob, it lasts
for five changes.  The effect of an Old Hudibras single in
Westminster II also lasts for five changes.

Also, it's wrong to say a short call does not involve any
splicing considerations.  An n-lead Q-set is precisely the
same as an n-lead splice.  We tend to use the former term to
refer to alterations at the lead-end, and the latter
elsewhere, but that's just a convention, and with doubles
variations, the distinction is blurred.  In this case, each
pair of overworks has a three-lead Q-set:  whether you
choose to think of them as three-lead Q-sets or as
three-lead splices is irrelevant.  The fact that all of the
calls have effects lasting for several changes is
irrelevant.

RAS