[r-t] Roger Bailey

Simon Humphrey sh53246 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:56:28 UTC 2013

Rob Lee:
>Now for a plea: I am attempting a handbell peal in his memory on Sunday
which will hopefully be one of his unrung major methods. The notation is as
>follows: x5x4x25x36x4x5x4x1, b. The problem is it appears to have pretty
nasty OTc falseness and although David Maynard assures me Roger had
>produced a composition he hasn't been able to locate it.

>I can't find anything on the web that fits these falseness groups and I'd
therefore be very grateful if someone could have a look into this?

I was shocked as well as saddened by the news, I had no idea Roger was even
ill.

Courtesy of SMC, and assuming tenors-together, there's a couple of very
simple 5-part 5120s, though they both have the drawbacks of all short
courses and not being very musical.
This one is so neat it's probably already been composed by someone by hand.

5120 Roger Bailey's unrung Surprise Major
  23456   B  M  W  H
  32564   -        s
  23645   -        s
  34256   -
  42356   repeat
  24536   -        s
  42635   -        s
5 part
  8 56 rollups
  4 near misses
  10 tittums
  8 f7568s
  8 f7468s
  12 2468s

SMC also found lots of 3-parts, all-the-work for the tenors though not quite
so simple.  E.g.

5088 Roger Bailey's unrung Surprise Major
  23456   B  M  W  H
  23564   -        -
  25364   5        s
  43562      -     -
  43625   -        -
  23645         s
  34256   -        ss
3 part
  12 56 rollups
  12 65 rollups
  6 near misses
  12 tittums
  6 f7568s
  9 f7468s
  10 2468s

Or without singles:

5088 Roger Bailey's unrung Surprise Major
  23456   B  M  W  H
  35642   2        -
  62345   -  -  -  -
  43265   3  -
  35426   2  -
3 part
  6 56 rollups
  8 65 rollups
  3 near misses
  10 tittums
  7 f7568s
  12 f7468s
  8 2468s

Starting this one from the first course end would bring 5-6 home at the
part-end instead of 4-6, which might be better for handbells.
If these don't suit I can send you the txt file containing the other 847 !

SH