[r-t] Peal of Spliced Royal

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Mon Jan 28 15:47:05 UTC 2013

David Hull:
" Some of you may be interested in a new peal of Spliced Royal in 9 methods which I've come up with..."

I like David's approach here. What's fundamentally going on is a simple application of glide symmetry - if you get to a reverse cycle of rounds and then you apply glide symmetry (ie then the reversals of the methods in the same order as they originally appear), you'll get to a cyclic leadend (partend), just like in a lead of Double Resurrection Cyclic Bob Royal (-678-670-1-7-9-345-145-1-4-2).

David has expanded this concept to put together a nice spliced arrangement, with impressive musical properties. My only query is with the distribution of the music. With the present methods each half-part of the composition is pleasantly stuffed with runs, albeit of the same type (eg 234567s off the front and 567890s at the back in the first half part, and consequently 098765s off the front and 765432s at the back in the second half-part). This is far from atypical in peals of cyclic spliced on higher numbers, such repetition can be pleasing (and stable), and each half-part is relatively short too.  However some "run diversity" can be good, though, an area where the new "Quark" peal of spliced maximus excels.

Incidentally, I used a very similar "architecture" as David (and Simon) to put together a proto-type 24-bell peal composition of spliced that would be relatively straightforward to ring, which I discussed with DJP last July. Here, the basic structure was:

1)	Get bells into mega-tittums using a simple hunt-to-a-point link (as per the RW centenary handbell touch)
2)	When the treble gets to the back, ring two changes of plain hunt to jump forward a part
3)	Ring a block to reverse the bells
4)	Ring the inverse of link-block (1)
5)	Ring a block to reverse the bells

This will get you to an "even-partend" that will give a 12-part structure, keeping all pairs together (eg partend 34567890.....12) to aid handbell "ringability".

I like the use of the reversals so both forward-tittums-runs and reverse-tittums runs are obtained. Of course, as the pure mega-tittums coursing order is false against its reverse, some slight tweaks are needed.

Different ways can be used to reverse the bells, including plain hunt, forward, winked-up sections, half-integer leads of treble-dodging or plain methods etc etc). To illustrate there concept, here's a working draft (I'm using notations for 12 bells, but it's easy to scale up to 24).

1234567890ET
(1)	34.5-4.5-56.6.78.8.90.0-1t (note the final "-" would naturally be ET, but this is not used to avoid falseness later)
675849302T1E
(2)	-1T
7869504T3E21
(3)	x5x4.5x5.36.4x7.58et.6x9.70.8x8.9x8x1x8x9.8x8.70.9x6.58.7x4.36.5x5.4x5x1x5x4.5x5.36.4x7.58.6x9.70.8x8.9x8e
12T3E4059687
(4)	-12.3.34.5.56.7.78-8.9-8.90
21TE09876543
(5)	-4589-4589-3670-3670-4589-4589-3670-3670-4589-4589-3670-3670
34567890ET12

This gives a true 124 change part: 6 parts is a true 744 changes.

For the two reversal blocks, here:
- The first one is just 1.5 leads of Bristol Max (up to the reverse rounds), with a couple of changes in 11ths made to get the bells in the right order.
- The second one is simple winked-up plain hunting.  All the pairs are in the right position for this, and it will give a variety of sound

(Obviously on 24 bells, ringing Bristol 24 doesn't give reverse rounds after 1.5 leads as the max does)

One of these days I'll flesh out and get round to organising a band...

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening. The Royal Society of Chemistry is a charity, registered in England and Wales, number 207890 - Registered office: Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 0WF