[r-t] A new Spliced Surprise Major canon

Robert Lee rlee5040 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 17 13:56:12 UTC 2013

On Fri Mar 15 22:29:43, MBD wrote:

>OK, you have convinced me. I will see if some tweaking can generate a
>Rob Special. James College instead of Lessness, Cadmium instead of
>Venusium - what to replace Glasgow?

Rather than set methods in stone (there is of course no guarantee that good methods in their own right will splice together effectively), my suggestions were merely based on the following:

-    musicality (both Cadmium and James College contain substantial coursing music, which should aid the production of 4-runs)
-    all distinct overworks and underworks (which the above substitutions achieve,if Venusium is retained in place of Deva)
-    fluidity and challenging lines (complementing the likes of Yorkshire/Cornwall which provide periods for quiet reflection)

If keeping the same lead end groups, Queen Camel would replace Glasgow nicely in this respect.

I think this would result in a very interesting composition to ring. While I appreciate it does deviatefrom your original goals, I agree with Andrew that sacrificing a little music in place of good method balance and distribution is no bad thing - a 'Special 10' as a further challenge to those who complete your existing series would complement your exisiting work nicely.

I very much look forward to seeing what you can come up with!

Rob