[r-t] A new Spliced Surprise Major canon

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Fri Mar 15 22:29:43 UTC 2013

Rob writes,

> I don't expect you to agree ;) but since you asked, some of the methods
 > feel a bit 'samey' to me. For example, I think it's a slight cop out
 > to have Deva and Venusium - they're practically the same method!
 > How about Cadmium instead?

and,

 > Also, you have 2 out of 10 (or even 5) methods - Lessness, Cornwall
 > and Malpas - where 4 bells are stuck on the front for a whole lead.
 > Two of them with something a bit more dynamic (James College?) would
 > be nice.

In fact, I do mostly agree with that, but even if I didn't, it is
excellent to get feedback, Rob.

The odd spot of commonality between methods in my series is actually by
design, and not just because it helps a bit with the splicing and the
music. I definitely wasn't aiming for something where all the methods
are totally different, nor was I trying to make it as interesting and
challenging as possible for a top band. Instead the idea was to get some
kind of balance that would appeal to many types of ringer. Yes, I wanted
a degree of sexiness and difficulty, because that's attractive, but I
also wanted some simpler content, and some stepping stones between
methods that lower-flying bands could grab hold of. That meant re-using
some standard methods, and re-using some backworks, frontworks and
place-bell orders - but hopefully in a rather less dull and samey
fashion than in the standard eight.

Perhaps I have fallen between two stools. I was hoping that any band
capable of the standard eight could aspire to ring my series, but also
that bands at a much higher level of achievement would still find it
good entertainment. Actually, I think you probably would Rob, if you
tried it - can I recommend the 7-spliced, which is an absolute peach!

> I'm nitpicking here and I appreciate the balancing act between method
 > selection and other desirable qualities, but if it's possible to tweak
 > the above I'd be very tempted to have a go at calling this.

OK, you have convinced me. I will see if some tweaking can generate a
Rob Special. James College instead of Lessness, Cadmium instead of
Venusium - what to replace Glasgow?