[r-t] Poll on consecutive blows in the same position

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Dec 28 17:19:24 UTC 2014

Don writes,

> "Method" needs to describe the whole, broad class. When we want to
> talk about just the lead-based subset of that class, we need to state
> that explicitly.

Why are you so fixed on the word "method", Don? The rule-based
constructions were originally called Dixonoids when they were recently
popularised (I think on this list). Why must they be called methods, in
your view - what is special about that term?

It seems to me to be more useful to use specific words for specific
meanings. Most modern ringers (I believe, maybe we should have a poll)
would say that "method" implies a construction based on a fixed lead,
not a rule. A set of call changes isn't a method. A composition isn't a
method. A dixonoid is somewhere between a method and a composition,
perhaps. In the 17th century it might have been called a "peal".