[r-t] Poll on consecutive blows in the same position

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Dec 28 18:54:33 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> Why are you so fixed on the word "method", Don?

Most "average ringers", I believe, would say that what we all ring are
methods. And when they ring Dixon's (few do, but many more could if
they chose to, and, based on my experience with folks ringing it for
the first time, many would enjoy it) they think they're ringing a
method.

It would certainly appear the folks that rang this quarter thought
it was a method:

http://www.bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=180022

Whoever wrote these two descriptions of Dixon's apparently thought
it is a method:

http://www.cambridgeringing.info/Methods/Minor/dixons.htm

www.lowwood.org.uk/dixons.doc

On this list we routinely talk about "rule-based methods".

We call ourselves "method ringers".

Attempting to pretend that refusing to apply the word "method" to
other constructions does not devalue them is the same sort of
sophistry as distinguishing between "not included in the analysis" and
"chucked out" or "deprecated".

In turn, why are you, Mark, so fixed on restricting the word "method"
to only one kind of method, and so reluctant to simply modify the word
with an adjective that specifies the commonly rung sort is just that,
one sort of method, but not the only sort?

"The name that can be named is not the enduring and
unchanging name."
  -- Lau Tzu, _Tao Te Ching_, tr J Legge