[r-t] Poll on consecutive blows in the same position

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Dec 28 21:43:09 UTC 2014

Don writes,

> Most "average ringers", I believe, would say that what we all ring are
> methods. And when they ring Dixon's (few do, but many more could if
> they chose to, and, based on my experience with folks ringing it for
> the first time, many would enjoy it) they think they're ringing a
> method.

Well, I'm not certain of this. But let us suppose you are right. It is
no worse an ambiguity than others we put up with to suppose that
"methods" covers both lead-based and rule-based methods, but that, when
we say "method", we might exclusively mean the lead-based variety.

My point is, we have been doing the latter throughout most of this
year's discussions. The various surveys Matthew has put up generally
refer only to the lead-based method; I don't think the polls concerning,
for example, lead divisibility, have been applicable to dixonoids. I
have nothing against dixonoids, but bringing them up over and over again
when we are clearly discussing the lead-based variety of method seems
specious.

For now, I think we are better to focus on the definition and
classification of the lead-based method. If you want, Don, let's worry
about dixonoids later. Bigger fish (in that they represent 99.99% of
what is actually rung) to fry first.