[r-t] A Ringing Puzzle

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Jun 5 05:38:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 1:25 AM, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 4:48 AM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk> wrote:
>> So, the answer is that method B is a Surprise method, but method A can't
>> exist as people would learn and ring it.
>
> Thus an even more straightforward example of a non-non-method than Dixon's.

No, I'm sorry, on further reflection I now believe that both Graham
and I were mistaken about this. Method A can easily be a bona fide,
CCCBR approved non-method: you just have to ring it in a peal of
spliced. For example, it is easy to put together a thoroughly
unattractive, true peal consisting of mostly Method B, with one lead
of Method A stiched in.

Which I suppose makes sense in some way, as the original impetus for
non-method blocks was their use in spliced.

"It is much easier to strive for perfection when you are never bored."
    -- Daniel Kahneman, _Thinking, Fast and Slow_