[r-t] One Spliced Surprise Major

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Jun 5 17:38:17 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Matthew Frye <matthew at frye.org.uk> wrote:
>> Can this not be described with (J)A.2(b) "[A call may be effected]
>> by omitting consecutive changes, altering the length of a lead" ?
>> Then you have just Cambridge and two types of skipping-rows calls.
>> Am I missing something?
>
> Not if you think of Cambridge as the normal lead of Cambridge, as the
> second type of call is adding two changes, not omitting* them.

Oh, I'm sorry, I see now. The normal lead of Cambridge is the normal
lead of Cambridge. The snap lead you think of as *two* leads of
Cambridge, each with its own lead shortening bob, the first excising
the first two changes, and the second the last thirty. Not the way
many ringers would think of it, I'm sure, but you are right that it is
a way to smash the square peg into the round hole successfully.

Thanks, and sorry for having misunderstood.

"Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to
pound in the correct screw."                        -- author unknown