[r-t] History

Robert Bennett rbennett at woosh.co.nz
Sun Jun 8 11:59:45 UTC 2014

	This is closing the stable door about 150 years after the horse has
bolted.

	One old book on ringing had something like this to say on the
subject..."If a peal of 5600 major is rung, it is only deemed by the
exercise a five thousand, so why not as near that number as
possible?"

	On a practical level, it is sometimes convenient for a Surprise Major
peal to be 5024 rather than 5056.

	In the case of Stedman Caters, peals of 5001 and 5010 were composed
and rung in the 1880s (see Stedman first edition)

	Similarly for 5008 and 5024 Bob Major (see Ropesight)

	In the case of triples, allowing longer "peals" would permit a peal
of grandsire triples without bobs, perhaps like Bankes James's
arrangement of 2160 Minor.

	To avoid giving offence to die-hards, we could call them 5/4 peals
and 3/2 peals of triples.