[r-t] 720s

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Fri Mar 7 12:03:09 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I remembered that PABS' remark is not the entire story. It is possible to move from an extent on n to an extent on n+1.

If an extent of Original Minor, say, has its rows reversed, this can be construed as the treble leads of Plain Bob Triples (with a suitable renumbering). I was first introduced to this result by Roger N Scholes in Feb. 1981 following an extent of Original with bobs only. This can be re-constructed as a peal of PB7 with bobs-only, such as those composed by Henry Hubbard amongst others.

This topic is one which comes up every so often. 'R' asked a question in the Comic about this in late '92 and it cropped up again more recently on this list in the guise of 'such bobs-only peals being impossible'   -- by someone I thought should have known better, but there we are.

It seems to be a generational thing -- the next generation has to learn from the past by asking questions -- because nothing is written down in an *available* form.

Best wishes

Robin