[r-t] 8-Single Stedman Doubles

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Thu May 29 05:36:50 UTC 2014

Hi All,

A chance question at the CC mtg. led me to produce an 8 single extent of
Stedman Doubles.

I had supposed that this was impossible, if only because someone would
have published it before. I also assumed, correctly, that it would need
six end calls also.

The first question is obvious - has it been done before? (Or, should I
ask 'when was it done first'?)

The composition is PYAXB repeated. This is notated in twelves!

P - both sixes plain
A - slow six singled
B - quick six singled
X - single @ start of slow six
Y - single @ start of quick six

I started with rounds as the last row of a quick six but the normal
start is OK too (obviously). This seems to be the only 8-single 120, up
to rotation, but cannot be reversed.

It is not, as might be expected, a single every 15 rows, but the first
call isn't until the start of the 4th six, followed by the middle of the
5th, start of 7th and middle of 10th six in each part.

I can only think of one reason that the normal single is in the middle
of the six is due to the fact that, at the end of the six, three blows
will be made in 3rds as the bell about to leave the front immediately
comes in again at the opposite speed.

As should be expected, a 120 can be obtained by a pair of these six-end
singles 60 rows apart.

Best wishes
Robin