[r-t] A New Hope

Matthew Frye matthew at frye.org.uk
Fri May 30 01:11:21 UTC 2014

On 29 May 2014, at 18:11, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:

> Why does the Council, or any ground rules it sets for its own
> behaviour, have to mention things like "worth" or "worthless" at all?
> Its job should just be to support what ringers choose to do, with no
> value judgements.

We each have our own opinions on what may or may not be worthwhile or worthless, but I think the *proposed* mentions of "worth" are more to acknowledge this fact and accept some things will be allowed and rung that some people consider to be worthless. And that's OK. Of course, the CC should at all costs avoid anything that says precisely *what* may be worthwhile or worthless.

I think a mention of worth also implicitly asks people not to be stupid with the rules and to let their ringing be governed by what they consider worth ringing not just whatever they can get away with. With the "right" to ring almost anything you please comes the responsibility to make sure you pick something you think is worthwhile to ring.

MF