[r-t] A Ringing Puzzle

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Fri May 30 08:48:34 UTC 2014

No one has answered my questions of 27 May, so I will attempt to answer them
myself.

> What is the non-method block in the case of Don's puzzle
> method A? One lead? The whole course? If the latter it
> definitely has leads (repeating blocks of changes)

If a non-method block was defined as the whole course then it would be false
as calls are only allowed at the end of a non-method block.

If a non-method block was defined as one lead, then calls would only be
allowed at the leadend. Don's composition with half lead calls could not be
used. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get a
composition without them.

If a non-method block was defined as half a lead, then Don's composition can
be used but it would be a peal in two alternating Blocks. But hang on a
minute, a Block based upon half a lead forms a true asymmetric principle,
therefore it is a lead of a valid method, and cannot be defined as a Block.

It therefore has to be defined as two alternating asymmetric principles
spliced, one the inverse of the other.

So, the answer is that method B is a Surprise method, but method A can't
exist as people would learn and ring it.

> What is the non-method block in Oxford Treble Bob Minimus?
> Is it a lead (which is false) or the plain course? Can this now
> be ring in peals. Bristol Minimus too?

Either a lead or the whole plain course of Oxford TB Minimus could be
defined as a non-method block, but let's assume a lead is better. It would
have to be titled Oxford Block Minimus or Oxford Treble Bob Block Minimus -
it cannot be called Oxford Block Treble Bob Minimus, as there is no further
classification of Blocks.

The decision seems to be silent on the extension of Blocks, but an extension
of a Block is only valid if the extension is also false, as otherwise (as in
this case) it extends into a method.

> Does Horsleydown Surprise Major or the Ringing World
> Centenary touch qualify as either a non-method block
> or a Hunter now, or neither?

Horsleydown S Major cannot be defined as a method because a method has to be
divided into more than one lead.

If its lead/course is defined as a Block then a composition could not be
formed that would be distinct from Bristol, as calls are only allowed at the
Block end, not the half lead. Like Don's method A, its two half leads would
become Hybrid methods.

The Ringing World Centenary touch could be defined a non-method block, but
calls could only be made at the lead end/course end. This is highly
restrictive and probably makes most round block Blocks unworkable.

Graham