[r-t] A Ringing Puzzle

Robert Bennett rbennett at woosh.co.nz
Fri May 30 12:40:27 UTC 2014

	The block idea seems to lead to a lot of problems as well.

	I have a couple of suggestions that might help:

	(1) have a number of different sets of rules for peals, such as
"1788 rules" ,"1891 rules", "1952 rules", "2001 rules" and so
forth  Pressure to change the rules to allow odd sorts of ringing
can be accomodated by introducing new sets of method and peal rules
every few years.

	(2) Allow that a peal may not consist of methods (in part or
completely). The requirement will then be that the peal as a whole is
true, but there will not be any restrictions about using methods or
blocks in the peal.

	This could then be called Mixed (used like Spliced).

	There are many other things, not method related, which were
prevented by earlier CC decisions.

	Some of these restrictions might well be lifted if they haven't
already:

	(1) allowing assistants to give ringers a short spell for a toilet
stop, lunch,  etc.;

	(2)  allowing drinks to be handed to ringers while ringing;

	(3) allowing the substitution of ringers.