[r-t] What IS a rotation of a method?

John Harrison john at jaharrison.me.uk
Sun Oct 19 20:25:18 UTC 2014

> New Grandsire is obviously a reversal of Grandsire, but I can see people
> would not necessarily think of it as a rotation as the treble has moved
> to a different line (albeit still plain hunting).

Moving the Treble is significant.  1 and 2 in Grandsire may both hunt in
the plain course but they do not have equal status in terms of the method
because one of them is 'the hunt bell', which defines the lead ends whereas
the other is only temporarily in the hunt between calls.  On that basis
Grandsire & New Grandsire are different because one has the (temporary)
hunt bell coursing after the permanent hunt bell and one before, so one is
a reversal of the other and not a rotation.

The concept of a lead end is significant, and I think it is more than just
'what people think they are ringing' as Don exemplified.

> Would people claim a different method again if it were rotated further
> so the 3 & 5 were the hunt bells? I doubt it, you'd just call it a
> rotation or a funny start(/funny calls) in Grandsire.

I suggest that would depend on which bell was unaffected by the calls.  If
it was the 5, they would call it Grandsire with the 5 in the hunt and a
funny start.  If it was the 3 they would call it New Grandsire with the 3
in the hunt and a funny start.

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk