[r-t] What IS a rotation of a method?

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 23:16:02 UTC 2014

I would make a plea for some guiding principles - keep it simple, keep it
consistent, keep it generic.

We are used to methods being cycles of work that we can start at different
points, and therefore rotation is well understood. OK it may seem strange
ringing with a different bell in the hunt or starting at the opposite
stroke, but not so odd that you would think you are ringing a different
method.  So why do we need a different name for a method rotation? If
restart spliced takes off, then the conductor might describe how he or she
is going to call the changes of method/start, but this does not make it
necessary to formally register different names for every possible
method/start combination used in every composition (keep it simple).

We also have to be careful that we don't overuse a specific example like
Grandsire without considering what happens if there are three hunt bells, or
seven, or a hunt bell that only moves between 3rds and 6ths place.  Framing
any definitions around the treble being a particular hunt bell risks
constraining future innovation (keep it generic).

As previously discussed, there could be merit in considering New Grandsire
as a named variation, where a variation is a name given to a method rung
with a specified set of non-standard calls. The current decisions confine
this usage to Doubles (keep it consistent).

Graham