[r-t] What IS a rotation of a method?

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon Oct 20 00:17:32 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Matthew Frye <matthew at frye.org.uk> wrote:
> You are proposing to define a method through its calls.

I'm sorry, I seem to have explained my thinking poorly. I did not mean
to define it through its calls, rather through what the ringers
believe its basic, repeating block to be, including where it begins
and ends. Or course, in nearly all cases, where that block begins
and ends is also where we apply calls.

And I think we really do have to trust the ringers to say what
it is they believe they have done, just as we do with so many
other ambiguities.

"Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit."
                                     -- W. Somerset Maugham, _The Summing Up_