[r-t] Time to vote?

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 10:34:58 UTC 2014

I don't understand point 3. " The current restriction should be modified,
such that certain types of rotations may be separately named, but others may
not."

What types of rotation are there?

While I can understand the potential of giving rotations different names for
"restart" spliced as per Ander's example i.e. where more than one rotation
is included in the same composition, there are two ways of dealing with
this. Either the conductor uses a calling convention local to that
composition/performance (e.g. Glasgow and snap start Glasgow and send it up
as Glasgow) or they send it up as spliced Glasgow and Glasgow-at-the-snap
registering  the new name for the rotation in the CC method library that can
be used by others in future.  This means  that it is not even clear whether
the composition is spliced or in a single method.

What I think would be more confusing, is that once Glasgow-at-the-snap had
been registered as a name, conductors would have to decide whether to send
say Rod Pipe's peal of a normal (i.e. non-restart) Glasgow starting at the
snap up as 5024 Glasgow Surprise Major, or 5024 Glasgow-at-the-snap Surprise
Major. The names, of course, may have no obvious connection to the original
method, so people may not even know they exist.

Would there be any guidance on how spliced is recorded? Presumably someone
could ring 5056 Cambridge Surprise Major by C Middleton as 5056 Spliced
Surprise Major (4m) comprising 1344 Cambridge; 1344 Cambridge-at-the-snap;
1344 Cambridge-at-the-halflead; 1024 Cambridge-at-the-quarterlead; with x
com and atw. So three (or potentially up to 31) new methods would be named
when all that has been rung is a peal of Cambridge. Also, what counts as a
change of method and all-the-work. The composition would have different
numbers of changes of method according to the rotations selected and used?

I know the above is a silly example of what people might (and almost
certainly will) do, but these questions may be equally difficult to answer
in a composition specifically composed to use "restart".

Graham