[r-t] Time to vote?

Ted Steele teds.bells at tesco.net
Thu Oct 23 11:45:28 UTC 2014

On 23/10/2014 11:34, Graham John wrote:

  Presumably someone
> could ring 5056 Cambridge Surprise Major by C Middleton as 5056 Spliced
> Surprise Major (4m) comprising 1344 Cambridge; 1344 Cambridge-at-the-snap;
> 1344 Cambridge-at-the-halflead; 1024 Cambridge-at-the-quarterlead; with x
> com and atw. So three (or potentially up to 31) new methods would be named
> when all that has been rung is a peal of Cambridge. Also, what counts as a
> change of method and all-the-work. The composition would have different
> numbers of changes of method according to the rotations selected and used?
>
> I know the above is a silly example

Perhaps, but I think Graham's message highlights the greater silliness
of naming rotations as anything different at all. I recently mentioned
the case of Treble Bob variations; Ilkeston etc, which Don thought were
not directly relevant to the discussion about rotations. My point though
was to give an example of a case where several different ways of ringing
two methods had been given specific names. It matters not whether the
difference was rotational, restart or anything else. The point was that
the names had become recognised and accepted as definitive of different
ways of ringing the methods concerned; but most importantly while the
methods involved were also clearly indicated and suffered no change of
name. If a rotation or any other new way of ringing a method is
sufficiently different to justify naming it (and simply starting from a
different row is obviously not) then let it be known for example
Thingummy's Rotation Of Silly Surprise.

I am really puzzled as to why the proposal to name rotations has
attracted such support; whatever is decided here seems incredibly
unlikely to change standard practice; but perhaps I am missing something
deeply significant.

Ted

Ted