[r-t] Peal Prover

Andrew Graham ajgraham42 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 13:05:50 UTC 2014

>From: Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
>
>I'm trying to help someone with a composition of an alliance major
>method. He is using a bit of software called Peal Prover with which I
>have no experience. It appears to only run in an operating system I do
>not have; in fact, from what I've found so far, it appears that I can't even
>get at the documentation for the program without running an installer in
>that OS!
>
>Imagine entering the place notation for a method like Aston Martin
>Alliance. It seems to be neglecting the 78 half-lead, and constructing
>some sort of 32 change lead method (we're working over 3,500 miles
>away from one another, exchanging information solely by email, so
>I may be mis-deducing what's going wrong, of course).
>
>Does anyeone with experience with this software have any thoughts on
>what may be going wrong? Does it perhaps have some preconceived notion
>of what the lead length of a method is that needs to be updated for
>an alliance method with an unusual one? Does it have a convention
>different than '.' for separating two consecutive changes in place
>notation? Anything else folks can think of?

Unless there's a new-fangled version of Peal-Prover, it runs fine in Windows, though I think the installer is unconventional.

When you enter a new method, you need to specify the length of the lead before you start.  Major may well default to 32 changes if you don't change it- can't remember off-hand.

You enter the place notations separated by carriage returns rather than punctuation.
I'm afraid I only have it on my computers at home so can't offer more than the above at the moment

AJG