[r-t] Method Generator

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Wed Apr 15 23:07:05 UTC 2015

To get a very rough idea of the possible numbers, consider the (false)
method &xxx4xxx36xxx5xxx7,2.  This has 42 locations in the half lead where
you can insert two consecutive places in a dodge, giving 2^42 > 4 billion
possibilities.  If you want no 3 consecutive blows, it will be closer to
1.618^42 ~ 500 million (1.618 is the golden ratio).  Some of these will be
false - since falseness can occur in 2 possible places in each section,
the probability of such a method being true might be something like
(7/8)^8 = 0.34, leading to an estimate of maybe 200 million methods of
this type.

Of course, these methods are far from being the only ones.

Based on the above and vague intuition, I would guess the total number is
between a billion and a trillion.

But I agree with Mark - why would you want this?

cheers, Ander