[r-t] Method Generator

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Thu Apr 16 21:35:53 UTC 2015

Stephen Beckingham writes,

> Good question. A few months ago I ran a search using smc32,
 > on approx 3.5 million methods, to find the "most musical"
 > for a length of 1280. I'm looking to expand this to include
 > more methods

Ah yes, I remember this! Yes, the trouble is every time you relax a
restriction, even by allowing just one new place notation (such as 78),
the number of resulting methods increases exponentially.

However, if you are looking for musical compositions, you are likely to
get the best results from musical methods with little falseness. You
have to be a bit careful, because sometimes unexpected method designs
can give amazing results, but in general if you are going to get lots of
run-based music then I think you need a method which generates lots of
the same type of runs in the plain course, in a way such that certain
coursing orders are favoured. That however is no good if the favoured
coursing orders are false against each other and so cannot be included
in a composition, hence the internal falseness shouldn't be too high either.

It should be possible to use this kind of heuristic to limit the method
search to a reasonable number of candidate results, even with the place
notation restrictions completely relaxed. However it would not be
completely straightforward, give the interaction between the music and
the falseness and the need to prune section-by-section as the methods
are constructed.