[r-t] Method extension

Richard Johnston johnstonrh at amen.org.uk
Mon Apr 27 11:47:29 UTC 2015

Philip Earis:
> By all means people can (and should) publish one or more advisory applets
> that can be used to generate "extensions" (and I think Tony Cox's overall
> approach is attractive), but there is no reason these need to be
> mandatorily
> enforced or included in any Decisions. Simply let bands decide instead.

Whilst this might work for a while, due to the momentum of the
earlier framework, in the long run it is likely to result in some
very poor extensions, as happened in the past.  Not all bands capable
of ringing and naming a method are competent to decide on the merits
or otherwise of an extension they propose relative to alternatives.
Much as I am inclined to allowing freedom, I can nevertheless foresee
all kinds of confusions - and conflict - arising from a complete free
for all.

Richard Johnston