[r-t] Method extension

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Thu Apr 30 02:21:16 UTC 2015

Chris: "The current rules on extension clearly allow a method to be extended
in several ways. Philip E was just plain wrong when he made the original
statement...The trouble with Philip E's world is that methods would get
extended in bad ways and the name would then be unavailable for good
extensions"

I fear you misunderstand me, and I don't comprehend you.

I recognise the current mess of opaque rules & algorithm can produce a range
of possible candidate "extensions" in some circumstances.  However, my point
is that so many arbitrary parameterised restrictions have been introduced to
try to fight a losing battle against this. (See my previous examples, or
indeed MBD's recent example re Little Bob).

Moreover (as Roddy, who I think is spot on here, well points out) the status
quo is all predicated on place notation, rather than "feel" which is
sufficiently ambiguous to define that I don't think it's worthwhile to
codify, but instead simply leave it up to bands.

Take London major for example.  With PABS' new approach, this isn't a valid
extension of London minor.  And yet, I doubt many ringers today are worried
or sickened or compromised that a band 180 years ago felt in good faith it
captured the essence of London minor and named it as such.

We aren't afraid of this, as it's familiar and something we've grown up
with.  I am always surprised that some ringers get so fearful when it is
suggested liberalising some silly Decisions. The status quo does seem to get
defended just for assuming the role of a comfort-blanket to wrap up in.

I really struggle with your point about methods getting extended "in bad
ways".  It cannot be the role of a representative body to make value
judgements about the methods rung.  If the body does this, it becomes a
vehicle for personal prejudice and peccadillos, as we can clearly see today.
The Methods Committee was born as the "legitimate methods committee", I
believe, and the mindset hasn't changed. It should.

All that notwithstanding, I do think MBD and I may be converging in our
viewpoints.