[r-t] 1-part tenors together atw compositions of 23-splicedmajor

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Fri Dec 4 11:16:33 UTC 2015

Fantastic stuff, Mark.  Need to take time to study this properly...

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015, Philip Earis wrote:

> On the more general point, I must admit I'm a bit puzzled by the attitude to
> keep compositions secret until they've been pealed. Timely publishing is
> beneficial to a field - this is certainly the case in science, where
> publishing is very well established, and I feel applies equally to ringing.

I think a composer absolutely has the right to keep things secret until
they are rung if they want to, and being in the first peal of something is
perhaps a nice (optional) perk.  However, I do think ringing would benefit
if we tried to move the general expectation away from the idea that this
is the norm.

It is interesting that attitudes in science seem to have changed quite
recently (at least in maths).  It used to be common for a paper to be kept
secret, or somewhat secret, until it had been peer reviewed and published
by a journal.  These days it is much more common for it to be made public
as a preprint as soon as it is written.  arxiv.org provides a central
repository for preprints, and also provides unfakeable date stamps, which
allays most concerns about priority.

This change has definitely been a beneficial one overall.