[r-t] Definitions so far (was Results of Poll on the Null Change)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Jan 16 05:04:54 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Tim Barnes <tjbarnes23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Static Method: A Method that can be defined by a fixed sequence of Changes.

Note that talking about static methods is not sufficient to keep
poor, long-suffering MDB from popping a gasket. To keep him
purring along contentedly we need to restrict ourselves to
static methods that are composed entirely of simple changes.
Perhaps we need a modifier for such methods, too?

(And this is also assuming the above is amended to something
like "finite, fixed sequence....".)

Now that I think further, there is a problem with deferring
an intermediate category of method between just "methods" and
"static" methods. The intermediate, non-exotic category will
also use the word "finite". If we're eventually going to do
that it might be best to do it now, so we don't have to
take "finite" out of the "static" category later.

"Definitions belong to the definers, not the defined."
     -- Toni Morrison, _Beloved_