[r-t] Decisions Review and Tony Smith

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Thu Jan 22 16:18:03 UTC 2015

Tony Smith has announced his resignation from the Methods Committee from the
Central Council.  He has also taken down his Methods Committee "review of
decisions" webpage (which Don recently drew attention to),  saying "those
pages may not reflect the views of the Committee".

At the 2014 Central Council meeting it was agreed that there should be a
fundamental review of the existing Decisions.  The proposer of the motion,
which was carried by significant majority, set out that this needed to be a
careful and visible review of the relevant Decisions and of the assumptions
and principles underlying them, including appropriate consultation so that
the Council is seen to respond
constructively to "popular" comment. The review was to be fundamental, with
no possible outcome - from complete rewriting to null change (some irony
here) - precluded from the outset.

For the review to meet its mandate, it would and will need to be undertaken
in a way that has the confidence and support of a wide spectrum of ringers'
conflicting views.  The reality and perception both need to be that no
outcome is precluded. I look forward to the new head of the review fully
engaging with the ringing community, and I wish them every success in this
tricky exercise.

Whilst Tony and I clearly see change ringing from very different
perspectives, I would like at this time to pay sincere tribute to his many
years of hard work and dedication. Tony was first elected to the Methods
Committee in 1981 I believe, and since then has freely given thousands of
hours of his time and expertise to the Methods Committee, and through this
to the wider ringing community.  His hosting and curating of the online
method collections (and CC archival material and documents) are an extremely
valuable service to ringers everywhere. Through a conservative and technical
approach he has made the Methods Committee one of the most visible CC
committees, successfully and calmly fending off the arguments of assorted
reformers, sceptics, contrarians - arguments not always charitably
expressed - over many years. We move into a brave new world.