[r-t] applicability and timing (was The null change)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Jan 2 17:16:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Tim Barnes <tjbarnes23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This would be better expressed as 'a static, finite sequence of changes'.
> Aren't 'static', 'finite' and 'sequence' all dictionary terms used in the
> standard dictionary sense, and therefore don't need to be defined by us?

With this rewording I do understand what a "finite sequence" is. I'm
afraid I still don't understand what a "static sequence" is, however.

> Method: A process at Stage N for generating a sequence of changes at
> that Stage. (Stage to be defined.)
>
> Part of method classification: A β-method is a method that is a
> static, finite sequence of changes.

I'm sorry, I can't follow this, even if I knew what "static" meant
in this context: a process is not the same thing as a sequence.

"The universe may be as great as they say. But it wouldn't be
missed if it didn't exist."        -- Piet Hein, _Grooks_