[r-t] applicability and timing (was The null change)

Tim Barnes tjbarnes23 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 20:11:31 UTC 2015

On Jan 2, 2015 9:17 AM, "Don Morrison" <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:
> I'm sorry, I can't follow this, even if I knew what "static" meant
> in this context: a process is not the same thing as a sequence.

Ok, how about:

Method: A process at Stage N for generating a sequence of Changes at that
Stage. (Stage to be defined.)

Part of method classification: A Beta-Method is a Method whose process
always produces the same, finite sequence of Changes.

Two other points, both granular: I don't think Stage can be defined without
reference to stationary bells, so it might be cleaner to define Stage at
the composition level, where methods, calls and stationary bells are first
combined.  I think Stage can be removed from the definition of Method by
referring to N bells in the definition of Row, as below.

Also the current CC rules define Change in terms of Position, i.e. the
interchange of pairs of bells in adjacent Positions.  Isn't Place a better
term for Position, given our use of this in, e.g. 4ths place bell, making
places, etc?

So:

Row: A sequence of N bells in which each bell rings once and only once.

Place: A location where an individual bell can ring within a Row.

Change: The progress from one Row to the next, effected by the interchange
of zero or more pairs of bells in adjacent Places in the Row.  ('Zero' vs.
one is dependent on the outcome of our null change poll.)

Method: A process for generating a sequence of Changes.

Part of method classification: A Beta-Method is a Method whose process
always produces the same, finite sequence of Changes.

TJB