[r-t] Definitions so far

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sat Jan 17 20:34:39 UTC 2015

Don writes,

> It is hard, perhaps impossible, to come up with some definition that
> encompasses things we've not yet imagined. But our inability to do
> so in the past has caused the current decisions to be the baroque
> collection of patches and after thoughts that they are

I don't think that's quite right, Don. It's the inability of the MC to
deal sensibly with *existing* innovations that has caused the problems,
not anyone's attempt to predict all possible futures.

I feel strongly that we should absolutely not try to anticipate
innovation. Therein lies mission creep and project failure. We are in
danger of this!

Innovation is the job of real ringers out there. Our job is more dull:
find a nice way of describing what is currently being rung. That
includes methods with any number of hunt bells, any number of leads, and
false in the plain course.

I am sorry to drone on about this. But there is a job to be done, and we
won't do it unless we focus narrowly, and also accept that whatever we
propose must fit into and be accepted by the general conventions of
ordinary ringers.