[r-t] Definitions so far

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sat Jan 17 21:09:29 UTC 2015

Don writes,

> If all we do is codify what folks have rung today, will not our
> children be having the same fight all over again? Quite likely with
> us?

Sorry Don: it would also be our job to be humble, and to step aside and
let some new generation rewrite our work.

As a programmer, I liken this to the process of achieving good software.
This doesn't happen by trying to anticipate and code for every future
need; in fact trying to do that leads to failure. Instead you try and
model, as cleanly as possible, what is actually required right now.

And if a new paradigm comes along, a new way of doing things, you
refactor or replace what you have. Be humble, and embrace change!