[r-t] Definitions so far

John Harrison john at jaharrison.me.uk
Sat Jan 17 21:42:51 UTC 2015

In article <54BACF89.3050802 at snowtiger.net>,
   Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> As a programmer, I liken this to the process of achieving good software.
> This doesn't happen by trying to anticipate and code for every future
> need; in fact trying to do that leads to failure. Instead you try and
> model, as cleanly as possible, what is actually required right now.

The software analogy could lead to a different conclusion.

You design for current function but don't you try to future proof what you
produce so if a small part of it needs changing the whole thing won't have
to be ripped apart?  So instead of hard coding things that might
conceivable change in future you use parameters?  And you make the software
modular so that parts can be extended in the future without upsetting
everything else?

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk